Derek Forinash works with technology-driven businesses to protect and monetize intellectual property assets in order to fuel growth. In addition to helping his clients develop and execute their IP strategy, Derek assists clients in managing the broad range of legal issues that arise in the course of doing business.
Derek brings a particularly business and tech-savvy approach to addressing legal issues. This approach is informed by his extensive experience in both private practice and as in-house counsel, including serving as General Counsel of a Houston-based engineering company. Derek also has an in-depth understanding of many of his clients’ underlying technologies and businesses, having worked as an engineer designing oilfield equipment.
Derek has helped clients acquire, license, and enforce patents in a wide range of technologies and industries including oilfield technology, petrochemicals, and computer software and hardware. He also has extensive experience with technology-related transactions including SaaS agreements, software licenses, intellectual property/technology licenses, and joint development agreements.
J.D., University of Houston Law Center, 2002
B.S., Louisiana State University, Mechanical Engineering, 1995
United States Patent and Trademark Office
- Porter Hedges Represents Par Pacific Holdings in $310M Acquisition of ExxonMobil Billings Refinery and Associated AssetsFirm News, 10.24.2022
- Firm News, 01.25.2022
- Porter Hedges Represents Chemical Process Simulation Software Leader Chemstations in Sale to DatacorFirm News, 08.16.2021
- Firm News, 03.16.2020
- Media Mention, 10.04.2022
- Media Mention, 03.02.2022
- Media Mention, 04.02.2021
- Patent Litigation Law Blog , 10.01.2021
Houston Bar Association, Member
State Bar of Texas, Member
American Bar Association, Member