Joshua Wolfshohl has been recognized among leading bankruptcy lawyers by Chambers USA, Best Lawyers in America, and Super Lawyers. His practice focuses on corporate reorganizations and restructurings, acquisitions and sales within the bankruptcy context, bankruptcy court litigation, and creditors’ rights. He represents corporate debtors and creditors, official and ad hoc committees, trustees and plan agents in cases involving complex commercial disputes and a wide range of bankruptcy issues in some of the country's largest and most complicated chapter 11 cases.
Joshua has particular experience in bankruptcy proceedings relating to the energy and healthcare industries. He also represents numerous clients in complex out-of-court restructurings, general civil litigation in federal and state trial courts and bankruptcy appeals before the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals and the United States district courts.
Joshua serves as a member of the Firm’s Management Committee and Pro Bono Committee. In addition, he leads the University of Houston Law Center Pre-Law Pipeline Program at Porter Hedges which is designed to increase the diversity of law school applicants by providing law school preparatory resources for students who are first generation, low income, or members of groups underrepresented in the legal profession.
Honors & Recognitions
Chambers USA, Leading Lawyer in Bankruptcy/Restructuring (Texas - Band 2)
Chambers USA, Bankruptcy Firm of the Year (Texas), 2019
2023 “Lawyer of the Year” (Best Lawyers in America – Litigation – Bankruptcy)
2021 “Lawyer of the Year” (Best Lawyers in America – Bankruptcy & Creditor Debtor Rights / Insolvency & Reorganization Law)
International Law Office and Lexology’s Client Choice Award, Insolvency and Restructuring, 2019
Texas Super Lawyers - Top 100 Lawyers in Houston
Houstonia Magazine,“Top Lawyers in Houston”
J.D., University of Houston Law Center, cum laude, 2002
B.A., University of Texas, 1997
United States District Courts for the Northern, Western and Southern Districts of Texas
United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- Judicial law clerk, The Honorable Wesley W. Steen, United States Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of Texas
- Judicial intern, The Honorable Manuel E. Leal, United States Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of Texas
- Intern, Office of the United States Trustee in Houston, Texas
Debtors' Counsel in Confirmed Chapter 11 Cases
OFS International, LLC, et al.
Agilon Energy Holdings II, LLC, et al.
Tri-Point Oil & Gas Production Systems, LLC, et al.
PetroQuest Energy, Inc., et al.
Geokinetics Inc., et al.
University General Health System, Inc., et al.
Diabetes America, Inc.
Bison Building Holdings, Inc., et al.
Eagle Geophysical, Inc., et al.
Superior Offshore International, Inc.
Easy Gardener Products, Ltd., et al.
Doctors Hospital 1997, L.P.
Southwest Grain Co., et al.
Official Committee Representation
- Counsel for Official Committee of Equity Security Holders in Washington Prime Group, Inc., et al. chapter 11 cases.
- Counsel for January 24 Claimants Committee (official committee for tort claimants) and Plan Proponent for chapter 11 Plan of Watson Grinding & Manufacturing Co. and Watson Valve Services, Inc.
- Counsel to Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors’ in Montco Offshore, Inc. and Montco Oilfield Contractors, LLC chapter 11 cases.
- Co-counsel to Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors in Bristow Group Inc., et al. chapter 11 cases.
Creditor and Lender Representation
- Counsel to senior secured creditors and debtor-in-possession lenders in Peninsula Airways, Inc., d/b/a PenAir, Buccaneer Resources LLC, et al., Star Resources, Inc., Resource Technology Corp. chapter 11 cases and numerous other cases.
- Counsel to creditor in the chapter 11 bankruptcy case of Hornbeck Offshore Services.
- Counsel to creditor in the chapter 11 bankruptcy case of Blackstone Group’s Gavilan Resources LLC.
- Litigation creditor’s counsel in the chapter 11 bankruptcy of Benevis Corp.
- Senior lender’s counsel in the chapter 11 bankruptcy of Permico Midstream Partner Holdings, LLC.
- Counsel to member of the creditor’s committee in the chapter 11 bankruptcy of Chesapeake Energy Corp.
- Counsel to largest creditor and litigation defendant in the chapter 11 bankruptcy of Marshall Broadcasting Group, Inc.
- Counsel to largest creditor and chair of unsecured creditors in the chapter 11 bankruptcy of KP Engineering LP.
- Counsel to chapter 11 Trustee in Brown Medical Center, Inc. (d/b/a, Brown Hand Center), Endeavour Highrise, L.P., Urban Mall Houston, L.P. and Caltex Holdings, L.P. chapter 11 cases.
- Counsel to numerous midstream, upstream and oilfield service companies in the bankruptcy cases across the country, including Sanchez Energy Corporation, Whiting Petroleum Corporation, et al., Southcross Energy Partners, L.P., et al., Westinghouse Electric Company, LLC, et al., C&J Holdings, et al., SemCrude, L.P., et al., Reichmann Petroleum Corp., and Freedom Pipeline, LLC.
- Counsel to Ad hoc group of property owners and club members in Utah 7000, L.L.C., et al., bankruptcy cases.
- Counsel to equity holders successfully obtaining appointment of an official committee of equity holders in Adeptus Health chapter 11 cases.
- Asbestos Future Claims Representative in the ABB Lummus Global Inc. bankruptcy case.
- Counsel to chapter 11 examiner in the Morningstar Gas, Inc. case.
- Counsel to Bridgeline Holdings, L.P. in connection with preference litigation in the Borden Chemicals and Plastics Operating Limited Partnership bankruptcy case.
- Porter Hedges Celebrates Opening of the New Porter Hedges LLP Career Center at the University of Houston Law CenterFirm News, 09.23.2022
- Recognition, 09.21.2022
- Firm News, 08.18.2022
- Porter Hedges Recognized for 'Energy Deal of the Year' by The M&A Advisor for Restructuring of OFS InternationalFirm News, 08.17.2022
- Firm News, 06.27.2022
- Firm News, 06.10.2022
- Firm News, 06.01.2022
- Firm News, 11.11.2021
- Recognition, 09.23.2021
- Recognition, 08.19.2021
- Firm News, 06.04.2021
- Firm News, 05.20.2021
- Firm News, 10.20.2020
- Recognition, 09.08.2020
- Recognition, 09.01.2020
- Recognition, 08.19.2020
- Firm News, 05.22.2020
- Recognition, 04.23.2020
- Firm News, 01.28.2020
- Recognition, 09.03.2019
- Recognition, 08.15.2019
- Porter Hedges Advises Franco-Nevada in the $300M Acquisition of Marcellus Shale Royalty Interests from Range ResourcesFirm News, 07.19.2019
- Recognition, 06.24.2019
- Porter Hedges Recognized for ‘Turnaround of the Year’ by Global M&A Network for PetroQuest Energy Chapter 11 BankruptcyRecognition, 05.20.2019
- Recognition, 05.01.2019
- Recognition, 09.07.2018
- Recognition, 08.15.2018
- The Houston Business Journal Once Again Ranks Porter Hedges Among the Largest Bankruptcy Practices in HoustonFirm News, 05.18.2018
- Recognition, 05.04.2018
- Recognition, 09.05.2017
- Recognition, 08.15.2017
- Recognition, 05.26.2017
- Recognition, 05.22.2017
- Recognition, 09.06.2016
- Firm News, 07.08.2016
- Recognition, 05.27.2016
- Recognition, 09.08.2015
- Recognition, 05.19.2015
- Firm News, 03.01.2015
- Firm News, 02.27.2015
- Media Mention, 09.03.2021
- Media Mention, 06.02.2021
- Media Mention, 06.02.2021
- Media Mention, 06.01.2021
- Media Mention, 05.31.2021
- "The NRA says it's moving to Texas. Bankruptcy experts say it may be more of a legal move than a physical one." The Texas TribuneMedia Mention, 01.15.2021
- Media Mention, 12.01.2020
- Media Mention, 09.01.2020
- Media Mention, 05.18.2020
- Media Mention, 03.18.2020
- Media Mention, 03.16.2020
- Media Mention, 01.29.2020
- "UH Law Center receives gift from local law firm, renames career services center," Houston Business JournalMedia Mention, 01.28.2020
- "Houston-based oil field services co. completes acquisition of local seismic data co.’s assets," Houston Business JournalMedia Mention, 07.26.2018
- "Houston-based seismic data co. files for Chapter 11, plans to sell assets to another local co." Houston Business JournalMedia Mention, 06.27.2018
- "Houston Bankruptcy Law Firms Beef Up to Handle Uptick of Energy Bankruptcies," Houston Business JournalMedia Mention, 07.08.2016
- Media Mention, 02.27.2015
- Publication, 08.08.2019
- Publication, 03.25.2019
- "Official and Ad Hoc Committees: Getting in Ethically," 33rd Annual Course - Advanced Business BankruptcySpeaking Engagement, 06.23.2016
- "Chapter 7 Trustees - Their role, duties," Southern District of Texas Bankruptcy Bench Bar ConferenceSpeaking Engagement, 04.21.2016
State Bar of Texas, Member
Houston Bar Association, Member
American Bar Association, Member
American Bankruptcy Institute, Member
Turnaround Management Association, Member
University of Houston Law Foundation, Board Member