Ray Torgerson has extensive first- and second-chair jury trial experience in both state and federal courts, as well as arbitration before various ADR bodies, on behalf of both plaintiffs and defendants. He has represented public and private corporations, partnerships, small companies, and foreign and domestic individuals across various industries.
Ray handles the full range of intellectual property disputes; disputes involving investors, operators, and services contractors in the upstream and midstream energy sectors; and commercial claims involving breach of contract, personal injury, and business torts such as fraud and breach of fiduciary duty. He has substantial experience in disputes involving partnerships and closely held corporations and has handled a wide array of cases involving real estate, environmental, securities, white collar, and construction matters. He also consults with businesses on technology matters, including licensing, cybersecurity, and data privacy.
In addition, Ray helps resolve American Indian law issues, having worked for tribes, businesses, organizations, and individual tribal members across the United States on a variety of topics, including sovereignty, jurisdiction, civil rights, natural resources, and economic development. He also taught an American Indian law course at the University of Houston Law Center.
Honors & Recognitions
Best Lawyers in America, Commercial Litigation
J.D., University of Texas School of Law, 1997
B.A., Texas A&M University, magna cum laude, 1994
Intellectual Property Litigation
- Representing patent owner in a patent suit involving low sulfur marine fuel technology against major refiner.
- Representing patent owner in five patent suits in the Eastern District of Texas related to fuel injector technology.
- Represented a publicly traded geophysical company in a major patent lawsuit concerning marine seismic survey equipment leading to a four-week jury trial.
- Represented the patent owner and leading provider of turbine inlet chilling systems used to cool inlet air into a gas turbine to maximize the gas turbine output across all ambient conditions.
- Represented the patent owner, a worldwide leader in mobile and wireless printing, in a patent infringement suit involving several patents.
- Represented a major Texas public university against a multinational company alleging infringement of patent covering specialty plastics.
- Represented a leading CD and DVD manufacturer in a patent infringement suit in the Eastern District of Texas.
- Represented the inventors of a device used to enhance the manufacture of electronic circuit boards against a multinational company resulting in a jury verdict of willful infringement following a four-week trial.
- Represented numerous companies and individuals in trade secret disputes involving offshore rig inspection services, offshore permitting, drilling mud systems, disposable plastic bags, and engineering services.
- Represented the owner of several patents in a patent case concerning the separation of solids from drilling fluids.
- Represented a Canadian environmental products company alleging infringement of patents relating to degradable plastic film and the mechanical device used to deposit the film onto a landfill, and the defense of related securities fraud and alter ego counterclaims.
- Represented a partner in a disputed partnership related to development in the Marcellus Shale leading to a successful jury verdict following a two-week trial.
- Represented an operator and group of working interest owners in a title dispute.
- Represented the manufacturer of downhole geophysical equipment in a breach of contract action related to a customer's failure to pay in full for seismic cables and defense of claims of fraud and breach of warranty, leading to a favorable jury verdict after a four-week trial.
- Represented a publicly traded exploration and production company in a property dispute leading to a bench trial and eventual favorable ruling by the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Represented several publicly traded exploration and production companies in a variety of matters, including securities and royalty issues.
- Represented a Houston-based oil and gas reserve engineering company defending against claims of securities and common law fraud, negligence, and conspiracy arising from estimated reserve reports issued by the company.
- Represented several mezzanine lenders in the oil and gas industry in lawsuits involving alleged lender liability, fraud, and breach of contract claims arising out of disputed financing transactions.
- Represented companies and individuals in fraud suits involving exploration and development investment funds.
Commercial and General Litigation
- Represented a secured lender in connection with a for-profit nursing college in an arbitration.
- Represented a port facility in a Longshore Harbor Workers Compensation Act lawsuit, leading to a one-week trial.
- Represented a major US fireworks distributor pursuing and defending against various commercial claims in two trials.
- Represented a publicly traded biotechnology corporation in a breach of contract action related to consulting services, leading to a one-week trial.
- Represented a Texas partnership in a breach of contract action related to the sale of pipe to a Russian joint venture whose letters of credit were dishonored when the issuing Russian bank failed, leading to a favorable jury verdict after a one-week trial.
- Represented a publicly traded national retail chain and regional fast food franchises in non-subscriber workers' compensation issues.
- Represented public and privately-held home builders in a variety of construction and breach of contract matters.
- Represented a large construction materials supplier in a variety of construction, breach of contract, Texas Deceptive Trade Practices Act, and negligence matters.
- Represented a national architectural firm in commercial disputes and collection matters.
Real Estate Litigation
Represented a major privately-held company and its affiliates in the defense of fraud, breach of contract, and full recourse liability claims in connection with a CMBS loan, leading to five-week bench trial and directed verdict on all asserted claims and more than $30 million in alleged damages. Eventually secured judgment on counterclaims. Plaintiff has appealed.
Represented residential developers and home construction companies in a variety of construction liability and breach of contract matters as both plaintiff and defendant, reflecting millions in asserted damages.
Represented a major student housing developer and property management company in defense of a lease dispute involving claims of fraud, contract, and declaratory relief, leading to injunction proceedings and the eventual removal of lis pendens in Brazos County, Texas.
Represented commercial real estate landlords and tenants in a variety of disputes involving claims of fraud, breach of contract, and declaratory relief reflecting millions in asserted damages.
Represented commercial and residential buyers and sellers in a variety of disputes involving claims of fraud, DTPA, breach of contract, breach of warranty, and declaratory relief reflecting millions in asserted damages.
Represented a commercial real estate owner in the defense of lawsuits seeking Americans with Disabilities Act (“ADA”) claims.
- Represented a real estate development and home construction company in a negligence action related to a wetland consultant’s failure to timely secure appropriate wetlands permits, leading to a favorable jury verdict after a one-week trial.
- Represented a purchaser of a contaminated parcel in an arbitration involving an indemnity claim from the seller.
- Represented a dry cleaning company accused of violations of CERCLA and the Texas Solid Waste Disposal Act, trespass, and nuisance, leading to a successful summary judgment motion in multiparty litigation.
Securities and White-Collar Crime
- Represented companies and individuals in connection with Department of Justice and Securities and Exchange Commission investigations.
- Represented companies investigating Foreign Corrupt Practices Act matters.
- Firm News, 08.18.2022
- Porter Hedges Represents Azure Midstream Energy in its Sale to Clearfork Midstream, Backed by EnCap Flatrock MidstreamFirm News, 02.23.2022
- Media Mention, 02.22.2022
- Recognition, 08.19.2021
- Firm News, 01.27.2021
- Recognition, 08.19.2020
- Firm News, 06.21.2019
- Firm News, 02.07.2018
- Firm News, 09.09.2016
- Firm News, 08.25.2016
- Federal Circuit Reverses District Court Damages by $90M+ in Patent Litigation Suit Against ION Geophysical CorporationFirm News, 07.06.2015
- Firm News, 03.01.2015
- Media Mention, 09.04.2020
- Media Mention, 07.14.2020
- "In Texas, Gaming On Native American Lands Is Legal For Some Tribes, But Not The Tigua," Texas StandardMedia Mention, 02.25.2019
- "Native church’s lawsuit spurs training for airport screeners," The Washington PostMedia Mention, 02.08.2018
- Publication, 05.22.2017
- Publication, 06.14.2016
- Publication, 05.26.2016
- Publication, 01.13.2016
- Patent Litigation Law Blog , 06.10.2021
State Bar of Texas, Member of Native American Law Section (Chairman 2007-2009; 2012-2013; 2018-2020)
Federal Bar Association, Member of American Indian Law Section
Houston Bar Association, Member
Native American Bar Association, Member
Intellectual Property Owner's Association, Member
Norwegian American Chamber of Commerce - Houston Chapter, Board of Directors