Corey Brown leads the Corporate Practice Group. He advises companies on a wide variety of corporate and commercial matters, focusing on company formation, strategic partnerships, joint ventures, private equity, and mergers and acquisitions. His energy industry experience covers a broad spectrum of matters within the upstream, midstream, downstream, and services sectors, with particular experience in the midstream and services sectors.
Corey has extensive experience in private mergers, acquisitions, financing, and sale transactions for private and publicly held companies in many industries, including private placements of debt and equity, management, and leveraged buy-outs. He assists private equity firms with forming and funding portfolio companies, mergers and acquisitions, and general legal matters, as well as representing equity-backed companies in company formation, funding, and employment matters. Corey also assists private investors, including family offices, with formation, funding, growth, and general legal matters.
J.D., University of Houston Law Center, cum laude, 1996
B.A., Texas A&M University, cum laude, 1992
Corey Brown’s representations include the following:
Mergers and Acquisitions
- Magnum Oil Tools International, LTD, a downhole technology provider, in its sale to Nine Energy Service, Inc., an oilfield services company, for total consideration of over $500 million.
- Archer Limited in selling AWC Frac Valves, a Texas-based manufacturer and service provider of frac valves, to a private equity fund for $30 million.
- CSI Inspection, L.L.C., a tubular inspection company, in its sale to National Oilwell Varco.
- Energy Transfer Partners, L.P. in the $2 billion sale of 36.75% of the Dakota Access and Energy Transfer Crude Oil pipelines to a joint venture owned by Enbridge Energy Partners, L.P. and Marathon Petroleum Corporation.
- Sooner Inc., a member of Marubeni-Itochu Steel Group, one of the largest suppliers of Oil Country Tubular Goods in the US, in acquiring 100% of equity interests in CTAP, LLC.
- Kinder Morgan Inc. in selling its remaining 50 percent membership interest in Parkway Pipeline LLC to Valero Terminaling and Distribution Company.
- Kinder Morgan in acquiring a natural gas storage facility.
- Crestwood Equity Partners in forming a joint venture and sale down of Tres Palacios storage facility.
- American Energy – Permian Basin, LLC in acquiring assets in the Permian Basin for $2.5 billion.
- Cameron International Corporation in acquiring LeTourneau Technologies Drilling Systems from Joy Global Inc. for $375 million.
- EPL Oil & Gas, Inc. in purchasing oil and gas assets in the Gulf of Mexico from Hilcorp Energy Co. for $550 Million.
- Sage Road Capital in portfolio company formation, funding, mergers and acquisitions, and general legal matters.
- Five Point Energy, in portfolio company formation, funding, mergers and acquisitions, and general legal matters.
- Harvey Gulf International in company formation, funding, and employment matters.
- RPM Energy in company formation, funding, and employment matters.
- Jonah Energy in company formation, funding, and employment matters.
Infrastructure Joint Ventures
- Kinder Morgan in forming a $6 billion Northeast Expansion pipeline joint venture.
- Noble Energy in forming the CONE Midstream joint venture with CONSOL Energy in the Marcellus Shale.
- Southern Liquefaction Co. LLC, a Kinder Morgan company and unit of El Paso Pipeline Partners LP, in forming a joint venture with Shell US Gas & Power LLC to develop an LNG export plant with about 2.5 million tonnes/year in liquefaction capacity at Southern LNG Co., LLC’s existing Elba Island LNG terminal near Savannah, Ga.
- Kinder Morgan Energy Partners in a $220 million joint venture with Valero Energy Corp for developing a fuel supply pipeline in Mississippi and Louisiana.
- Kinder Morgan Partners in forming the $3.4 billion Midcontinent Express Pipeline joint venture.
- Kinder Morgan Partners in forming the $1.3 billion Fayetteville Express Pipeline joint venture.
- Kinder Morgan Partners in forming the Cypress Interstate Pipeline joint venture.
- Firm News, 02.13.2019
- Firm News, 10.16.2018
- Porter Hedges Represents Red Mountain Energy and IOG Capital in the Sale of STACK Position to SandRidge EnergyFirm News, 02.28.2017
- Porter Hedges Represents Energy Transfer in the Closing of a $2B Sale of a Minority Stake in Bakken Pipeline Project to Enbridge and Marathon PetroleumFirm News, 02.16.2017
- Porter Hedges Represents Energy Transfer and Sunoco Logistics in the $2B Sale of a Minority Stake in Bakken Pipeline Project to Enbridge and Marathon PetroleumFirm News, 08.03.2016
- Firm News, 02.27.2015
- Media Mention, 10.24.2018
- Media Mention, 10.19.2018
- Media Mention, 10.15.2018
- "Brookfield Public Securities Group Completes Acquisitions of Center Coast Capital and Certain Assets of Liberty Street Advisors and HRC," Globe NewswireMedia Mention, 02.05.2018
- Media Mention, 11.29.2017
- "Black Stone Minerals, L.P. Announces $340 Million Acquisition of Mineral and Royalty Interests and Private Placement of Cumulative Convertible Preferred Units," Black Stone Minerals News ReleaseMedia Mention, 11.27.2017
- Media Mention, 11.27.2017
- "Brookfield Asset Management’s Public Securities Group Acquires Center Coast Capital Holdings, LLC," GlobeNewswireMedia Mention, 10.10.2017
- "Brookfield to buy Houston-based investment firm focused on energy infrastructure," Houston Business JournalMedia Mention, 10.10.2017
- Media Mention, 01.09.2017
- Media Mention, 08.08.2016
- Media Mention, 08.04.2016
- Media Mention, 08.03.2016
- "Enbridge Energy Partners, Marathon Petroleum to buy $2B stake in pipeline system," Houston Business JournalMedia Mention, 08.03.2016
- Media Mention, 08.03.2016
- Media Mention, 07.12.2016
- Media Mention, 02.18.2016
- Media Mention, 02.01.2016
- Media Mention, 12.11.2014
- Media Mention, 12.03.2014
- Media Mention, 12.01.2014
- Media Mention, 11.03.2014
- Media Mention, 10.28.2014
State Bar of Texas, Business Law Section, Member
Houston Bar Association, Member