Craig Bergez counsels the owners and executives of private companies regarding general business matters and provides solutions to a wide variety of tax problems.
Craig’s corporate practice involves counseling private companies and their owners, including family-owned businesses, regarding general organizational and operational matters, business formation and structure, combinations and break-ups, financing, governance, succession planning, investments, employment matters and much more.
Craig’s tax practice – working with company owners, executives, outside accountants, bankers, and other advisors – is focused on general tax planning with an emphasis on joint ventures, mergers and acquisitions, investment transactions, and choice of entity. He provides sophisticated solutions to tax puzzles of all kinds as well as representing companies and their owners during IRS exams and through IRS appeals, as well as before the Texas Comptroller's office.
Honors & Recognitions
Texas Super Lawyers, 2004-2018
LL.M., New York University School of Law, Taxation, 1990
J.D., University of California, Hastings College of the Law, 1989
B.A., University of California at Berkeley, Biology, 1986
District of Columbia
Craig's experience has included advising:
- Operating companies, private equity funds, and other investors engaged in conducting or investing in a variety of industries reflecting the greater Houston, Texas economy.
- Nonprofit and tax-exempt organizations – including public charities, private foundations, and trade associations – on organizational and operational matters.
- Founders, promoters, and investors regarding organizing and structuring investments in new, growing, and mature private companies.
- Private companies and their owners on major transactions, including a sale of a flagship or subsidiary company, the acquisition of another company, or transactions involving internal reorganizations.
- Private companies and their owners regarding business divorces.
- Latin American and other non-U.S. companies on making investments in the U.S.
- Professional service firms, including law firms, accounting firms, and medical practices, regarding general organizational and operational matters.
- Executives regarding entering into employment arrangements, and with respect to major transactions involving employers (including sale transactions).
- Private companies as general counsel to their owners regarding day-to-day operational and other recurring matters.
- Buyers and sellers regarding acquiring and disposing of private and public companies.
- Founders and investors regarding structuring early stage, growth, and other investments in operating companies.
- Operators, investors, and other participants regarding organizing and structuring investments in companies, and other arrangements for acquiring, developing, managing and disposing of oil, gas, and other energy assets.
- Developers and investors regarding organizing and structuring investments in companies, and other arrangements for acquiring, developing, managing and disposing of real estate assets.
- Founders, owners, and investors regarding organizing and structuring investments in new, growing, and mature companies in numerous industries reflecting the general economy.
- Promoters and investors regarding organizing and structuring investments in private equity, venture capital, and hedge funds.
- Clients structuring US cross-border transactions.
- Private and public companies and their owners to resolve civil tax controversies with the IRS through examination and IRS appeals and with the Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts.
- Clients regarding litigation settlements.
- Porter Hedges Represents Par Pacific in the Closing of its $45 Million Acquisition of Select Refining Assets from Island Energy ServicesFirm News, 12.20.2018
- Firm News, 10.16.2018
- Firm News, 09.07.2018
- Porter Hedges Represents Par Pacific in the $45 Million Acquisition of Select Refining Assets from Island Energy ServicesFirm News, 08.30.2018
- Firm News, 03.27.2018
- Association for Corporate Growth Houston Awards Maintenance Supply Sale to Lowe’s as Business and Industrial Services Deal of the YearFirm News, 02.15.2018
- Porter Hedges Represents Par Pacific in $70M+ Acquisition of Cenex® Zip Trip Retail Locations in Washington and IdahoFirm News, 01.09.2018
- Firm News, 11.21.2017
- Firm News, 09.05.2017
- Firm News, 05.18.2017
- Porter Hedges Represents Family-Owned Oildom Publishing in its Acquisition by Gulf Publishing CompanyFirm News, 05.01.2017
- Firm News, 09.06.2016
- Porter Hedges Represents Par Pacific Holdings in the $271M Proposed Acquisition of Wyoming Refining CompanyFirm News, 06.17.2016
- Porter Hedges Advises Fred Haas Interests on the Sale of Two Infiniti dealerships to John Eagle Automotive GroupFirm News, 01.14.2016
- Firm News, 09.08.2015
- Media Mention, 10.24.2018
- Media Mention, 10.19.2018
- Media Mention, 10.15.2018
- Media Mention, 12.14.2017
- Media Mention, 06.26.2017
- "Deal of the Week: Lowe’s to acquire Houston co. for $512M to boost multifamily business," Houston Business JournalMedia Mention, 05.26.2017
- Media Mention, 05.19.2017
- "Lowe's to Acquire Houston-based Maintenance Supply Headquarters for $512 Million," Houston ChronicleMedia Mention, 05.18.2017
- Media Mention, 05.18.2017
- Media Mention, 05.18.2017
- "Lowe’s to acquire Houston company for $512M to boost multifamily business," Houston Business JournalMedia Mention, 05.18.2017
- Media Mention, 05.03.2017
- Media Mention, 04.14.2016
- Client Alert, 03.19.2019
- Publication, 09.25.2017
- Publication, 05.31.2017
- Publication, 03.27.2017
- Publication, 05.08.2015
- Publication, 10.01.2014
- "The Tax Legislation Formerly Known as the 'Tax Cuts and Jobs Act' - Selected Partnerships Tax Provisions," Houston Tax Roundtable (02/15/18); Wednesday Tax ForumSpeaking Engagement, 03.27.2018
- "Partners as Employees: The End of Dual Status?" Wednesday Tax ForumSpeaking Engagement, 02.14.2017
- "M&A Issues Involving LLCs, Partnerships & Hybrids," Bloomberg BNA Conference on U.S. Taxation of Mergers & AcquisitionsSpeaking Engagement, 12.14.2015
- "Partnership Divisions - Texas State and Federal Income Tax Law Considerations," Wednesday Tax ForumSpeaking Engagement, 05.19.2015
- "Partnerships Taxation - Recent Developments," Houston Bar Association Taxation SectionSpeaking Engagement, 09.17.2014
Adjunct Professor, University of Houston Law Center (Partnership Taxation (2011-Present), Business Planning (2004 - 2006)).
Houston Bar Association, Tax Section, Member; Council (2009-Present); Chair (2013-2014); Chair-Elect (2012-2013); Secretary (2011-2012); Treasurer (2010-2011)
Houston Bar Association, Mergers & Acquisitions Section, Member
Houston Tax Roundtable, Member, President (2010-2011)
Wednesday Tax Forum, Member
The Center Foundation, Board of Trustees (2004-2009)
The Center Houston (f/k/a The Center Serving Persons with Mental Retardation), Board of Directors (1999-2004)