Craig Bergez counsels private companies and their owners regarding general business matters, and provides tax advice to a wide variety of stakeholders in connection with planning transactions.
Craig’s corporate practice is focused on the middle market and involves counseling private companies and their owners (including family-owned businesses) regarding general organizational and operational matters (including business formation and structure), and in connection with making investments, selling businesses, buying businesses, entering into joint ventures, and admitting investors and key employees as new owners.
Craig’s tax practice is focused on general transactional planning, with an emphasis on joint ventures, mergers and acquisitions, investment transactions, and choice of entity considerations.
LL.M., New York University School of Law, Taxation, 1990
J.D., University of California, Hastings College of the Law, 1989
B.A., University of California at Berkeley, Biology, 1986
District of Columbia
Craig's experience has included advising:
- Operating companies, private equity funds, and other investors engaged in conducting or investing in a variety of industries reflecting the greater Houston, Texas economy.
- Founders, promoters, and investors regarding organizing, structuring and financing investments in new, growing, and mature private companies.
- Companies and their owners on major transactions, including a sale of a flagship or subsidiary company, the acquisition of another company, or transactions involving internal reorganizations.
- Companies and their owners in connection with structuring relationships with key employees, and planning for succession.
- Companies and their owners regarding business divorces.
- Latin American and other non-U.S. companies on making investments in the U.S.
- Professional service firms, including law firms, accounting firms, and medical practices, regarding general organizational and operational matters.
- Executives regarding entering into employment arrangements, and with respect to major transactions involving employers (including sale transactions).
- Private companies as general counsel to their owners regarding day-to-day operational and other recurring matters.
- Nonprofit and tax-exempt organizations – including public charities, private foundations, and trade associations – on organizational and operational matters.
- Buyers and sellers in connection with structuring the acquisition and disposition of private and public companies.
- Founders and investors regarding structuring early stage, growth, and other investments in operating companies.
- Developers and investors regarding organizing and structuring investments in companies holding arrangements for acquiring, developing, managing and disposing of, real estate assets.
- Founders, owners, and investors regarding organizing and structuring investments in new, growing, and mature companies in numerous industries reflecting the general economy.
- Promoters and investors regarding organizing and structuring investments in private equity, venture capital, and hedge funds.
- Companies and investors in connection with structuring US cross-border transactions.
- Operators, investors, and other participants regarding organizing and structuring investments in companies, and other arrangements for acquiring, developing, managing and disposing of oil, gas, and other energy assets.
- Clients regarding litigation settlements.
- Porter Hedges Advises Century A/C Supply in its Sale of Minority Stake to Rheem Manufacturing CompanyFirm News, 04.15.2020
- Firm News, 01.28.2020
- Porter Hedges Represents Par Pacific in the Closing of its $45 Million Acquisition of Select Refining Assets from Island Energy ServicesFirm News, 12.20.2018
- Firm News, 10.16.2018
- Recognition, 09.07.2018
- Porter Hedges Represents Par Pacific in the $45 Million Acquisition of Select Refining Assets from Island Energy ServicesFirm News, 08.30.2018
- Firm News, 03.27.2018
- Association for Corporate Growth Houston Awards Maintenance Supply Sale to Lowe’s as Business and Industrial Services Deal of the YearFirm News, 02.15.2018
- Porter Hedges Represents Par Pacific in $70M+ Acquisition of Cenex® Zip Trip Retail Locations in Washington and IdahoFirm News, 01.09.2018
- Firm News, 11.21.2017
- Firm News, 09.05.2017
- Firm News, 05.18.2017
- Porter Hedges Represents Family-Owned Oildom Publishing in its Acquisition by Gulf Publishing CompanyFirm News, 05.01.2017
- Firm News, 09.06.2016
- Porter Hedges Represents Par Pacific Holdings in the $271M Proposed Acquisition of Wyoming Refining CompanyFirm News, 06.17.2016
- Porter Hedges Advises Fred Haas Interests on the Sale of Two Infiniti dealerships to John Eagle Automotive GroupFirm News, 01.14.2016
- Firm News, 09.08.2015
- Media Mention, 01.29.2020
- "UH Law Center receives gift from local law firm, renames career services center," Houston Business JournalMedia Mention, 01.28.2020
- Media Mention, 10.24.2018
- Media Mention, 10.19.2018
- Media Mention, 10.15.2018
- Media Mention, 12.14.2017
- Media Mention, 06.26.2017
- "Deal of the Week: Lowe’s to acquire Houston co. for $512M to boost multifamily business," Houston Business JournalMedia Mention, 05.26.2017
- Media Mention, 05.19.2017
- Media Mention, 05.18.2017
- "Lowe’s to acquire Houston company for $512M to boost multifamily business," Houston Business JournalMedia Mention, 05.18.2017
- "Lowe's to Acquire Houston-based Maintenance Supply Headquarters for $512 Million," Houston ChronicleMedia Mention, 05.18.2017
- Media Mention, 05.18.2017
- Media Mention, 05.03.2017
- Media Mention, 04.14.2016
- Publication, 07.01.2020
- Publication, 02.28.2020
- Publication, 03.19.2019
- Publication, 09.25.2017
- Publication, 05.31.2017
- Publication, 03.27.2017
- Publication, 05.08.2015
- Publication, 10.01.2014
- "Disposable Personal Goodwill, Frosty the Snowman, and Martin Ice Cream All Melt Away in the Bright Sunlight of Analysis," Nebraska Law Review, Vol. 91, No. 1, p. 170Publication, 2012
- "The Tax Legislation Formerly Known as the 'Tax Cuts and Jobs Act' - Selected Partnerships Tax Provisions," Houston Tax Roundtable (02/15/18); Wednesday Tax ForumSpeaking Engagement, 03.27.2018
- "Partners as Employees: The End of Dual Status?" Wednesday Tax ForumSpeaking Engagement, 02.14.2017
- "M&A Issues Involving LLCs, Partnerships & Hybrids," Bloomberg BNA Conference on U.S. Taxation of Mergers & AcquisitionsSpeaking Engagement, 12.14.2015
- "Partnership Divisions - Texas State and Federal Income Tax Law Considerations," Wednesday Tax ForumSpeaking Engagement, 05.19.2015
- "Partnerships Taxation - Recent Developments," Houston Bar Association Taxation SectionSpeaking Engagement, 09.17.2014
- "Current Developments in Partnership Taxation," 32nd Annual Advanced Tax Law Course, State Bar of TexasSpeaking Engagement, 08.29.2014
Adjunct Professor, University of Houston Law Center, Partnership Taxation (2011-Present), Business Planning (2004 - 2006).
Houston Bar Association, Tax Section, Member; Council (2009-Present); Chair (2013-2014); Chair-Elect (2012-2013); Secretary (2011-2012); Treasurer (2010-2011)
Houston Bar Association, Mergers & Acquisitions Section, Member
American Bar Association, Member
Houston Tax Roundtable, Member, President (2010-2011)
Wednesday Tax Forum, Member
The Center Foundation, Board of Trustees (2004-2009)
The Center Houston (f/k/a The Center Serving Persons with Mental Retardation), Board of Directors (1999-2004)