Jonathan represents multi-national corporations, domestic corporations, and individuals in all aspects of intellectual property law. He specializes in patent, trademark law, and trade secret law, as well as intellectual property agreements. His patent practice focuses on infringement litigation, patent prosecution (both U.S. and international), infringement and invalidity opinions, and patentability opinions.
His trademark practice focuses on infringement litigation, opposition and cancellation proceedings before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board of the USPTO, and counseling on the selection, use, and filing for trademarks in the U.S. and countries around the world. Jonathan helps clients develop strategies to avoid counterproductive patent and trademark disputes strategies for patent protection, trademark selection, intellectual property enforcement, and portfolio management.
In litigation, Jonathan has represented both plaintiffs and defendants in infringement suits in district courts around the country and has tried several patent cases to verdict. He has also represented clients in mediations of intellectual property disputes.
Jonathan’s transactional practice focuses on drafting and negotiating intellectual property licensing and ownership transfers, technology development agreements, joint development agreements, and non-disclosure agreements.
J.D., Louisiana State University Paul M. Hebert Law Center, 1996
B.S., Boston University, Aerospace Engineering, 1992
United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO)
United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
United States District Courts for the Northern, Southern, Western and Eastern Districts of Texas
United States District Courts for the Eastern, Western and Middle Districts of Louisiana
United States District Court Eastern District of Michigan
- Represent Dresser-Rand in theft of trade secrets actions against Schutte & Koerting et al involving the theft of Dresser-Rand's trade secrets related to industrial valve technologies by former employees.
- Represented the patent owner and leading provider of turbine inlet chilling systems used to cool inlet air into a gas turbine to maximize the gas turbine output across all ambient conditions.
- Represented an alleged infringer in a dispute involving subsea flow line connector technology.
- Represented a patent owner and worldwide leader in mobile and wireless printing in a patent infringement suit involving four patents.
- Represented an alleged infringer of five patents related to systems for conducting marine seismic surveys.
- Represented an alleged infringer, filing a declaratory judgment action on its behalf seeking a declaration that the client’s use of its trademark does not infringe the defendant’s trademark.
- Represented the Better Business Bureau (BBB) against a former BBB member making unauthorized use of the BBB trademarks.
- Represented an alleged infringer in a copyright dispute.
- Represented the owner of a trademark for pre-paid calling cards against another pre-paid calling card distributor and seller.
- Represented a baby products manufacturer in a suit brought by another baby products manufacturer asserting infringement and unfair competition based on product design trade dress in certain baby products.
- Represented a manufacturer and patent holder in a case filed against manufacturers, distributors and re-sellers of the accused products. The patent relates to systems for mounting and orienting multiple computer displays.
- Represented a patent owner in an infringement case involving a scratch-resistant composition used in the automobile industry.
- Represented the trademark related design of pre-paid calling cards in an infringement and unfair competition suit against distributors of a competing calling card.
- Represented a trademark owner in an infringement action against the user of an infringing mark related to butter products.
- Represented an applicant in an opposition involving a mark related to carpet.
- Represented the patent owner in a suit involving multiple patents relating to equipment and processes for treating hazardous waste.
- Represented the trademark owner in an infringement suit related to engineered stone, flooring, kitchen, and bathroom products.
- Represented the trademark owner in an infringement suit related to natural gas-to-liquid fuels technologies, processes, and products.
- Represented the owner of patents and other proprietary technology relating to degradable plastic films and methods and apparatus for using the films for daily cover in landfills.
- Represented the trademark owner in a suit against a competitor in the financial services industry for using an infringing mark.
- Represented a trademark applicant in an opposition action asserting the client’s mark was likely to cause confusion with the opposer’s mark.
- Firm News, 07.07.2022
- ACG Houston Awards Sale of Camp Construction Services to Sterling Investment Partners as Deal of the YearFirm News, 04.22.2022
- Firm News, 01.25.2022
- Firm News, 12.01.2021
- Porter Hedges Represents U.S. Physical Therapy in the $63 Million Acquisition of Prevention Services CompanyFirm News, 12.01.2021
- Firm News, 11.16.2021
- Porter Hedges Advises Century A/C Supply in its Sale of Minority Stake to Rheem Manufacturing CompanyFirm News, 04.15.2020
- Firm News, 10.16.2018
- Firm News, 09.09.2016
- Recognition, 09.08.2015
- Federal Circuit Reverses District Court Damages by $90M+ in Patent Litigation Suit Against ION Geophysical CorporationFirm News, 07.06.2015
- Firm News, 03.01.2015
- Recognition, 03.01.2015
- Media Mention, 07.08.2022
- Media Mention, 07.07.2022
- Media Mention, 03.02.2022
- Media Mention, 10.24.2018
- Media Mention, 10.19.2018
- Media Mention, 10.15.2018
- Publication, 05.22.2017
- Publication, 06.14.2016
- Publication, 05.26.2016
- Publication, 01.13.2016
State Bar of Texas, Member
Registered to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
Intellectual Property Owner's Association, Member
International Trademark Association (INTA), Enforcement Committee (2010-2012)