Blake Runions assists clients with broad range of business disputes and investigatory matters, including partnership disputes, internal investigations, and commercial litigation.
Prior to joining the Firm, Blake worked in the accounting, finance, and business assurance groups at a major international oil and gas company, where he was involved in financial reporting, Sarbanes-Oxley compliance, and merger and acquisition accounting. Blake draws upon this business experience to counsel clients in both complex business disputes and day-to-day business needs.
Blake’s trial experience includes jury trials in both state and federal courts as well as arbitration proceedings and he has completed the National Institute of Trial Advocacy's (NITA) National Trial Skills Program and NITA's regional Deposition Skills Program.
Honors & Recognitions
Porter Hedges LLP Annual Pro Bono Award, 2009
J.D., University of Houston Law Center, cum laude, 2007
The Houston Law Review, Notes and Comments Editor
Order of the Barons, Member
The Lorrance & Thompson Negotiation competition and the Tom Newhouse Mediation competition, Champion
The Blakely-Butler Moot Court competition, Finalist
B.B.A., Harding University, summa cum laude, Managerial Accounting, 1997
United States Court of Appeals Fifth Circuit
United States District Court Southern District of Texas
- Intern, U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas
- Represented plaintiff E&P company as lead trial counsel in obtaining a favorable award for the client in arbitration regarding the title to mineral rights.
- Represented an energy industry client in a federal court bench trial regarding a breach of services contract.
- Represented a pipeline owner in obtaining a temporary restraining order and temporary injunction against an excavator related to damage to a pipeline resulting from improper excavation.
- Represented an oil and natural gas operating and asset management company in a dispute regarding the purchase and sale of wells and acreage in the Permian Basin.
- Represented a purchaser of midstream assets in disputes regarding purchase and sale agreements.
- Represented an E&P company in multiple disputes against land services companies.
- Represented a client in a two-week international arbitration regarding the construction of an industrial facility at the Port of Corpus Christi.
- Trial counsel for limited liability company in dispute with member regarding distributions.
- Trial counsel in a five-week jury trial regarding a partnership dispute. Successfully defended group of affiliated partnerships from a limited partner’s claim to dissolve the partnerships, among other claims, and obtained verdict on a counterclaim expelling the plaintiff from the partnerships.
- Represented a defendant in a four-week federal court jury trial in which the plaintiff sought more than $145 million in damages. The jury returned complete defense verdict on all claims.
- Represented a client in arbitration proceedings regarding breach of a purchase contact in the chemicals industry.
- Represented both plaintiffs and defendants in non-compete and employment litigation.
- Represented foreign-based clients in special appearances to contest jurisdiction in Texas.
- Represented foreign banks in complex litigation involving both federal and Texas state courts.
- Compliance and Investigations
- Conducted numerous internal investigations spanning allegations of improper payments, accounting violations, and sexual harassment.
- Member of investigation team that reported to the audit committee of the board of directors of a public company regarding whistleblower complaint about potential Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) violations; and participation in additional FCPA investigations.
- Defense of clients in both Securities Exchange Commission and Dept. of Justice investigations/proceedings related to potential securities violations.
- Co-author of Porter Hedges’ Anti-corruption and Compliance Client Alerts.
Pro Bono Assistance
- Pro bono clients with the Pro Bono College of the State Bar of Texas, 2012
- Pro bono clients with the Houston Volunteer Lawyers program
- Firm News, 01.23.2017
- Client Alert, 09.03.2019
- Client Alert, 08.01.2019
- Client Alert, 07.01.2019
- Client Alert, 06.03.2019
- Client Alert, 05.01.2019
- Client Alert, 04.03.2019
- Client Alert, 03.07.2019
- Client Alert, 03.05.2019
- Publication, 02.05.2019
- Publication, 01.08.2019
State Bar of Texas, Member
American Bar Association, Member
Houston Bar Association, Litigation and Federal Practice Sections, Member
HBA Federal Practice Section Council, 2013-2015
Houston Volunteer Lawyers Program
Greater Houston Partnership, Member