J.D., University of Houston Law Center, 1973
B.B.A., Finance, Texas Christian University, 1970
Board Certified, Commercial Real Estate Law, Residential Real Estate Law, Texas Board of Legal Specialization, 1983
George Craft is the real estate and real estate finance section leader of Porter Hedges. George has been listed in Best Lawyers in America, in Real Estate Law since 2004 and has been selected for inclusion in Texas Super Lawyers in Real Estate since 2003. George was also selected for inclusion in Super Lawyers, Corporate Counsel Edition, in 2009 and 2010 and in Super Lawyers, Business Edition in 2011 for the State of Texas in real estate law. His practice focuses on a wide range of real estate related transactions including real estate finance, acquisition and disposition of real estate related assets, structuring of various real estate entities and real estate loan workouts.
George has represented developers and investors (both foreign and domestic) in connection with the acquisition, disposition, development and leasing of all types of commercial real estate, including mid and high rise luxury condominium projects, mid and high rise multi-family complexes, office buildings, residential subdivisions, regional shopping centers, unimproved property, hotels, golf courses, deep water facilities, and industrial warehouses and developments. George also represents landlords and tenants in connection with complex lease issues including, development agreements, operating agreements, reciprocal access and restrictive covenant agreements.
George's practice also includes the representation of lenders in connection with construction loans, development loans and loans secured by unimproved property and improved property, including regional shopping centers, mini warehouse facilities, office buildings, hotels, golf courses, industrial complexes, residential subdivisions, flex space, mid and high rise luxury condominium projects, mid and high rise multi-family complexes, including low-income housing tax credit transactions and the construction of improvements on leasehold estates.
George also represents lenders in connection with aircraft financing secured by airframes, aircraft engines and avionics. He represented the lender in connection with the development of the Texas Lone Star Flight Museum, secured by two ground leases and 17 World War II aircraft.
Prior to joining Porter Hedges, George was a partner in the Houston firm of Cochran, Rooke & Craft and before that, he was a partner at Sewell & Riggs.
- Represented the sellers in connection with the disposition of over 22,000 acres of land located in Wharton and Colorado Counties, Texas in 2018.
- Represented certain partners in the refinancing and redemption of partnership interests involving a 60 acre industrial project in Houston in 2018.
- Represented various lenders in 2018 in connection with several major multi-family projects.
- Represented Lender in connection with the construction credit facility for Mid-Main in Houston, Texas consisting of 363 apartment units, neighborhood parking garage (773 spaces) and transit retail.
- Represented Lender in connection with $80,000,000 credit facility for acquisition of the Gulf Coast's largest industrial park which spans 10,897 acres (three-fourths the size of Manhattan), including rail and warehouse facilities.
- Representation of a major international petroleum corporation in connection with its relocation to new 250,000 square foot Houston headquarters.
- Representation of various developers during the past years in the acquisition, development and leasing of over 3,000,000 square feet of retail power centers.
- Representation of a Houston-based developer in the acquisition, development and leasing of over 1,500,000 square feet of industrial warehouse space in Harris and Fort Bend Counties, Texas.
- Represented the purchaser of an 850+ acre industrial complex in Harris County, including warehouses, water treatment plant, wastewater treatment plant and landfill facilities, together with ongoing development and leasing.
- Represented lenders in workout and foreclosure of three Gulf coast high-rise condominium projects.
- Represented lenders in 2018 in the financing of hotel construction consisting of over 1,000 keys, including historic tax credit transactions.
- Represented lender in connection with $50,000,000 Guidance Master Credit Agreement for development of day care centers.
Professional / Civic Affiliations
- Martindale Hubbell AV Rated Attorney since 1979
- Houston Real Estate Lawyers Counsel, Member
- Texas Bar Foundation, Sustaining Life Fellow
- Houston Bar Association, Member of Environmental Law and Real Estate Law sections
- American Bar Association, Member of Real Property, Trust & Estate Law section; past Committee Member of Real Estate Finance section
- State Bar of Texas, Member of Real Estate, Probate & Trust Law and Environmental & Natural Resources Law sections
- Texas Association of Bank Counsel, Member
- Texas College of Real Estate Attorneys, Member
- River Oaks Property Owners Association, Past President and Chairman of the Board
- Proctor Academy, Andover, N.H., past member of the Board of Trustees
- River Oaks Baptist School, Houston, Texas, past member of Development Board