Amy Wolfshohl is certified by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization in Construction Law and has been recognized by Chambers USA, The Legal 500, The Best Lawyers in America, and Super Lawyers for Construction Law. Amy represents companies in analyzing risk and resolving problems in connection with highly complex construction transactions, with an emphasis on industrial construction, energy construction, commercial construction, and EPC contracts. She is also an experienced construction litigator. Her cases primarily concern complex energy and commercial facilities, pipelines, EPC contracts, and representation of parties in lien and defect actions.
Amy co-chairs the Construction & Infrastructure Practice Group for TerraLex, an international network of more than 19,000 attorneys in 155 leading independent law firms in more than 100 countries, of which Porter Hedges is a member. Before practicing law, Amy was a project engineer for general contractors in Texas and California.
Amy chairs the firm’s Women’s Initiative program and is also a frequent contributor to the Porter Hedges Construction Law Blog.
Honors & Recognitions
Chambers USA, Leading Lawyer in Construction (Texas)
The Legal 500, Recommended Lawyer in Construction
Best Lawyers in America, Construction Law
Texas Super Lawyers, Construction Law
J.D., University of Houston Law Center, magna cum laude, 2006
B.S., Texas A&M University, summa cum laude, Construction Science, 2001 (graduated first in her class)
United States District Court for the Southern and Eastern Districts of Texas
- Drafted 110-mile pipeline construction agreement on behalf of owner of significant pipeline system.
- Negotiated a construction contract on behalf of the owner of a $450 million ethylene glycol facility.
- Negotiated and drafted a construction agreement on behalf of the owner of a $150 million gas plant and natural gas liquid recovery project.
- Negotiated and drafted an EPC contract on behalf of the owner of an $80 million industrial manufacturing facility.
- Drafted term sheet and EPC contracts for $50 million methanol package units on behalf of a contractor.
- Drafted engineering and project management contracts for the owner of a crude storage and loading facility.
- Drafted a master EPC contract and purchase order for gas processing and other industrial facilities.
- Negotiated numerous pipeline construction contracts.
- Negotiated numerous construction contracts on behalf of the owner for expansion of an olefin facility.
- Negotiated and revised dozens of purchase order terms and conditions relating to pumps supplied to industrial owners.
- Updated form construction and engineering MSAs on behalf of numerous midstream owners.
- Negotiated and revised MSAs with industrial owners.
Amy has extensive experience representing owners, general contractors, subcontractors, and others in disputes related to commercial, energy, industrial, and pipeline construction. Her representations include the following:
- Contractor in dispute against Owner relating to $100+ million change orders on a pipeline.
- Contractor against subcontractor in dispute relating to $12 million in clearing change orders on a pipeline.
- Owner of pipeline in lawsuit relating to +$50 million in disputed productivity change orders.
- Subcontractor in dispute relating to non-payment for work associated with a pharmaceutical facility.
- Owner of a $117 million gas processing facility in a dispute relating to more than 30 lien claims.
- Owner in dispute relating to a $90 million gas processing facility involving claims between the owner, surety, and lien claimants and a contractor in bankruptcy.
- Owner in a dispute relating to more than $12 million in design errors stemming from LPG and crude tank design and construction.
- Owner of a large crude splitter in a dispute relating to design and construction with more than $50 million in claims relating to defective design.
- Owner of an industrial facility in a delay claim.
- Major municipality in connection with litigation against a contractor and designer for faulty construction and design of an airport runway.
- Owner in arbitration against an architect relating to failure to meet Texas Department of Aging and Disability Standards.
- International architecture firm in a design defect case relating to a major hotel project.
- Owner of an industrial facility in a dispute relating to business interruption.
- Construction company in connection with a payment dispute with the State of Texas on a large commercial fishery.
- Large construction company in a construction delay case.
- International architecture firm in a design defect case relating to a faulty foundation.
- Local real estate company in construction defect case.
- National energy industry maintenance and installation services provider in a contract dispute.
- National telecommunications company in an arbitration victory, including attorneys' fees and costs.
Amy has extensive experience representing banks, trustees, and businesses in complex commercial disputes. Her representations include the following:
- Trial victory including attorneys' fees relating to a personal guarantee.
- Trial victory including attorneys' fees relating to representation of a trustee in bankruptcy proceedings for a high-rise condominium complex.
- Foreign bank, obtaining dismissal on the pleadings based on jurisdictional grounds.
- Bank in litigation against guarantors.
- Trustee in bankruptcy proceedings relating to recovery of fraudulent transfers and preferential payments.
- Inventor in dispute relating to offshore oil and gas platform.
- Trustee in fiduciary duty disputes.
- Pre-litigation representation relating to LSTA transactions.
- Firm News, 03.15.2021
- Porter Hedges Secures Arbitration Victory for US Trinity Energy Services in $12 million Construction DisputeFirm News, 02.03.2021
- Firm News, 10.20.2020
- Recognition, 09.08.2020
- Recognition, 08.19.2020
- The Legal 500 Ranks Porter Hedges Among the Leading Firms in the Country for Oil & Gas and Construction in 2020Recognition, 06.10.2020
- Recognition, 04.23.2020
- Recognition, 03.09.2020
- Firm News, 01.28.2020
- Recognition, 09.03.2019
- Recognition, 08.15.2019
- Firm News, 07.10.2019
- The Legal 500 Ranks Porter Hedges Among the Leading Firms in the Country for Oil & Gas and ConstructionRecognition, 06.06.2019
- Recognition, 05.01.2019
- Recognition, 09.07.2018
- Recognition, 08.15.2018
- Firm News, 07.10.2018
- Recognition, 08.15.2017
- Amy Wolfshohl and Sean McChristian Receive Certification in Construction Law from the Texas Board of Legal SpecializationFirm News, 01.11.2017
- Recognition, 03.04.2016
- Federal Circuit Reverses District Court Damages by $90M+ in Patent Litigation Suit Against ION Geophysical CorporationFirm News, 07.06.2015
- Recognition, 05.20.2015
- Firm News, 03.06.2015
- Recognition, 01.27.2015
- Firm News, 01.26.2015
- "Pipeline construction firm files lawsuit against Mountain Valley Pipeline," Pittsburgh Business TimesMedia Mention, 08.17.2020
- Media Mention, 08.03.2020
- Media Mention, 01.29.2020
- "UH Law Center receives gift from local law firm, renames career services center," Houston Business JournalMedia Mention, 01.28.2020
- Media Mention, 02.06.2019
- Media Mention, 12.15.2016
- Media Mention, 08.02.2016
- Media Mention, 04.15.2015
- "The Anatomy of a Change Order Clause in a Construction Contract," National Association of Surety Bond ProducersPublication, 01.15.2021
- Publication, 11.17.2020
- Publication, 02.04.2020
- Publication, 02.06.2019
- "One Breach, Two Breach, Old Breach, New Breach: An Analysis of Competing Contract Claims in Light of Bartush-Schnitzius Foods Co. v. Cimco Refrigeration, Inc."Publication, 03.02.2018
- Construction Alert: "When Is It Cool Not to Pay? Fridge Dispute at Texas Supreme Court Addresses Prior Material Breach Doctrine"Publication, 05.09.2017
- Construction Alert: "Texas Supreme Court Opinion Impacts General Contractor's Statutory Indemnity Rights Against Manufacturers of Construction Products"Publication, 06.28.2016
- Publication, 11.16.2015
- Publication, 03.05.2015
- Speaking Engagement, 05.04.2020
- "Construction in the Oil Patch - Navigating Lien and Indemnity Issues," Porter Hedges Energy & Construction Law ProgramSpeaking Engagement, 11.15.2018
- Speaking Engagement, 03.02.2018
- "Never Can Say Goodbye: Lonergan Reaffirmed by Texas Supreme Court 100 Years Later," 28th Annual Construction Law ConferenceSpeaking Engagement, 03.05.2015
- "Four Recent Texas Supreme Court Cases Affecting the Construction Industry," Porter Hedges Construction Law ProgramSpeaking Engagement, 02.24.2015
- Texas Construction Law Blog, 01.15.2021
- Texas Construction Law Blog, 10.03.2019
- The Often Overlooked Protection Provided by a Statutory Payment Bond Under Chapter 53 of the Texas Property CodeTexas Construction Law Blog, 03.07.2019
- Hurricane Season and Disaster Preparedness: Part 2 – Insuring the Risk of a Hurricane on a Construction ProjectTexas Construction Law Blog, 08.23.2018
- Texas Construction Law Blog, 05.17.2018
State Bar of Texas, Construction Law Section, Council Member
Texas Board of Legal Specialization - Construction Law, Exam Drafter
Houston Bar Association, Construction Law Section, Board Member
Houston Young Lawyers Foundation, Fellow