Rob's practice focuses on established and emerging public and private companies that are building their business through mergers, acquisitions and financings. He currently serves as the Firm's Co-Managing Partner - External Affairs, prioritizing marketing, business development, and growth, including lateral recruiting. He also served as the Firm's Managing Partner from 2009-2021.
Rob has represented clients in energy exploration, production, service and transmission, alternative and renewable energy, energy industry technology, biotech, and the manufacturing and distribution of a variety of products. He has also represented investment banking firms in various financings and merger and acquisition transactions primarily in the energy industry. He has extensive experience in:
- Mergers, acquisitions and dispositions of public and private entities
- Private equity fund acquisitions/divestitures
- Representation of management teams in start-up companies funded by private equity
- Formation, structuring and financing of new ventures
- Joint venture and partnership formations and financings
- Venture capital transactions
- Preparation of SEC filings and registration statements of all types
- Public and private offerings of equity and debt securities
- Executive employment agreements and compensation
- Corporate governance and board and board committee issues
Honors & Recognitions
Chambers USA, Leading Lawyer in Capital Markets: Debt & Equity (Texas)
IFLR1000 United States, Rated “highly regarded,” M&A and Capital Markets: Debt/Equity
Best Lawyers in America, Corporate Law and Securities / Capital Markets Law
Best Lawyers in America, "Lawyer of the Year," Securities / Capital Markets Law, 2022
- Business Planning and Entity Formation
- Capital Markets
- Corporate Governance, Compliance & Investigations
- Emerging Companies
- Executive Compensation
- Master Limited Partnerships
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Private Equity
- Special Committees & Boards of Directors
- Venture Capital
- Acquisitions, Divestitures and Joint Ventures
- Midstream Oil and Gas
- Renewable & Alternative
- Upstream Oil and Gas
J.D., University of Texas School of Law, with honors, 1978
B.A., University of Texas, summa cum laude, 1975
Harvard Law School Executive Education, Leadership in Law Firms Certificate, 2018
Rob's experience has included advising:
Mergers and Acquisitions
- Maintenance Supply Headquarters, a leading distributor of maintenance, repair and operations products to the multifamily housing industry, in its agreement to be acquired by Lowe’s Companies, Inc. (NYSE: LOW) for $512 million.
- Quantum Capital in the acquisition of Houston-based Apache Industrial Services and the simultaneous contribution of another Quantum portfolio company.
- Special Committee of an exploration and production company in two shale acreage acquisition transactions with a combined value of more than $550 million.
- Investment in a coal and biomass gasification company with operations in China.
- Publicly held Texas retail energy provider in its sale to a utility company.
- Publicly held waste company in over 30 public and private offerings and acquisitions, including a $1.5 billion acquisition of an industry competitor.
- Creation of sponsor entities to execute “roll ups” of multiple companies in a variety of industries.
- Underwriters of an exploration and production company's $240 million public offering.
- Underwriters of an exploration and production company's $250 million IPO focused on exploration, acquisition, and development of oil and natural gas resources in the Eagle Ford shale.
- Underwriters of an oil and gas company in two public offerings totaling over $200 million.
- Exploration and production company in a $193 million Gulf of Mexico acquisition and a $200 million senior note offering.
- Publicly traded energy exploration company in its recapitalization and subsequent sale, including private equity offerings, Rule 144A debt offering and new credit facilities.
- Coal and biomass gasification company in its public offerings and private placements.
- Houston-based biotechnology companies in IPOs, secondary offerings, and private placements.
- Formation of new upstream and midstream energy companies funded by private equity sponsors.
- Oil and gas company in acquiring assets from a public oil and gas company for $800 million using private equity and bank financing.
- Oil and gas company in selling Marcellus midstream assets to a private equity fund.
- Private equity sponsors in “buy and build” transactions.
- Firm News, 09.08.2023
- Firm News, 08.17.2023
- The Houston Business Journal Once Again Names Porter Hedges Among the Largest Corporate Firms in HoustonRecognition, 06.02.2023
- Firm News, 11.14.2022
- Firm News, 08.25.2022
- Firm News, 08.18.2022
- Firm News, 08.17.2022
- Firm News, 04.12.2022
- Recognition, 08.19.2021
- Firm News, 05.28.2021
- Firm News, 04.08.2021
- Firm News, 09.22.2020
- Recognition, 08.19.2020
- Porter Hedges Advises Century A/C Supply in its Sale of Minority Stake to Rheem Manufacturing CompanyFirm News, 04.15.2020
- Firm News, 12.11.2019
- Porter Hedges Represents Synthesis Energy Systems in its $36 Million Acquisition of Australian Future EnergyFirm News, 10.11.2019
- Recognition, 09.03.2019
- Recognition, 08.15.2019
- Recognition, 07.23.2019
- Recognition, 09.07.2018
- Recognition, 08.21.2018
- Recognition, 08.15.2018
- Association for Corporate Growth Houston Awards Maintenance Supply Sale to Lowe’s as Business and Industrial Services Deal of the YearFirm News, 02.15.2018
- Firm News, 11.21.2017
- Recognition, 09.05.2017
- Recognition, 08.15.2017
- Recognition, 05.26.2017
- Firm News, 05.18.2017
- Firm News, 02.07.2017
- Recognition, 09.06.2016
- Firm News, 08.25.2016
- Recognition, 08.15.2016
- Recognition, 05.27.2016
- Porter Hedges Represents Johnson Rice & Company and Canaccord Genuity in a $27M Public Offering by Abraxas PetroleumFirm News, 05.25.2016
- Porter Hedges Represents Credit Suisse Securities (USA) and J.P. Morgan Securities in $95 Million Public Offering by Callon PetroleumFirm News, 03.09.2016
- Firm News, 02.17.2016
- Firm News, 11.18.2015
- Recognition, 09.08.2015
- Recognition, 08.17.2015
- Recognition, 05.19.2015
- Firm News, 03.13.2015
- Firm News, 02.27.2015
- Firm News, 02.02.2015
- Media Mention, July/August 2023
- Media Mention, 06.26.2023
- Media Mention, 04.04.2023
- Media Mention, 03.06.2023
- Media Mention, 01.23.2023
- Media Mention, 01.05.2023
- Media Mention, 12.21.2022
- Media Mention, 12.06.2022
- Media Mention, 08.17.2022
- Media Mention, 08.17.2022
- Media Mention, 08.17.2022
- Media Mention, 06.07.2022
- Media Mention, 05.24.2021
- "Pandemic Finances – From Fear to Confidence (Part 2) The Saving Grace: Technology and Firm Culture," The Texas LawbookMedia Mention, 02.03.2021
- "Pandemic Finances — From Fear to Confidence (Part 1) In 2020, Texas Firms Dodge Worst Fears," The Texas LawbookMedia Mention, 02.01.2021
- "Kirkland's Bankruptcy Partnership With Jackson Walker Could Be a Sign of Things to Come," The American LawyerMedia Mention, 08.25.2020
- Media Mention, 07.07.2020
- "HBJ reveals honorees for 2020 Most Admired CEO Award, inaugural Business Impact Awards," Houston Business JournalMedia Mention, 06.29.2020
- Media Mention, 05.04.2020
- Media Mention, 01.14.2020
- Media Mention, 12.28.2018
- Media Mention, 11.09.2018
- Media Mention, 10.25.2018
- "More than Just Friends: Clients Seek Understanding, to Go Along With Value, from Midsize Firms," The Mid-Market ReportMedia Mention, 10.17.2018
- "Analysis: Are Several More Corporate Firms Looking to Open in Texas? Yes. Well, Maybe," The Texas LawbookMedia Mention, 10.16.2018
- Media Mention, 10.15.2018
- Media Mention, 10.04.2018
- "Brookfield Public Securities Group Completes Acquisitions of Center Coast Capital and Certain Assets of Liberty Street Advisors and HRC," Globe NewswireMedia Mention, 02.05.2018
- Media Mention, 12.14.2017
- "Brookfield to buy Houston-based investment firm focused on energy infrastructure," Houston Business JournalMedia Mention, 10.10.2017
- "Brookfield Asset Management’s Public Securities Group Acquires Center Coast Capital Holdings, LLC," GlobeNewswireMedia Mention, 10.10.2017
- Media Mention, 06.26.2017
- "Deal of the Week: Lowe’s to acquire Houston co. for $512M to boost multifamily business," Houston Business JournalMedia Mention, 05.26.2017
- Media Mention, 05.19.2017
- "Lowe’s to acquire Houston company for $512M to boost multifamily business," Houston Business JournalMedia Mention, 05.18.2017
- "Lowe's to Acquire Houston-based Maintenance Supply Headquarters for $512 Million," Houston ChronicleMedia Mention, 05.18.2017
- Media Mention, 05.18.2017
- Media Mention, 05.18.2017
- Media Mention, 05.11.2017
- "2017 New Partner Survey: Smaller First-Year Associate Classes During the Recession Leads to Fewer New Partners at Big Texas Firms," Texas LawyerMedia Mention, 03.01.2017
- "Deal of the Week: Houston industrial services co. acquired by PE firm, merges with Canada co.," Houston Business JournalMedia Mention, 02.10.2017
- Media Mention, 08.26.2016
- Media Mention, 08.01.2016
- Media Mention, 07.11.2016
- Media Mention, 03.16.2015
- Media Mention, 01.02.2015
- Media Mention, 12.23.2014
- “Deep Dive into the Pro Mid-Market 50 Survey Results: Who Made the List and Trends to Watch,” ALM WebinarSpeaking Engagement, 12.24.2022
TerraLex Global Law Firm Network, Board Member, Executive Committee Member, and Chair of the Audit & Finance Committee
Texas Bar Foundation, Life Fellow
Alley Theatre, President of the Board (2009-2013), Chairman of the Board (2013-2016)