James Cowen represents public and private companies, boards of directors and special committees, and individuals in a variety of corporate, securities and finance matters, particularly in the energy industry. His practice includes public and private offerings of equity and debt securities, mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, strategic partnerships, project development and finance, SEC compliance, corporate governance, executive employment agreements and compensation, and general corporate and commercial matters.
James represents clients in the energy (upstream, midstream, and downstream), technology, biopharmaceutical and manufacturing industries. He also represents investment banking firms, investors, and indenture trustees in capital market transactions.
Prior to and while attending law school, James worked as an aerospace engineer and software developer for a NASA subcontractor, Unisys, where his responsibilities included developing and maintaining software for the space shuttle program, and then as a software development consultant for an oilfield services company.
- Business Planning and Entity Formation
- Capital Markets
- Corporate Governance, Compliance & Investigations
- Emerging Companies
- Executive Compensation
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Private Equity
- Special Committees & Boards of Directors
- Venture Capital
- Acquisitions, Divestitures and Joint Ventures
- Infrastructure Projects
- Project Development
- Project Finance
- Midstream Oil and Gas
- Oilfield Services / Drilling
- Renewable & Alternative
- Upstream Oil and Gas
J.D., University of Houston Law Center, 1997
B.S., University of Texas at Austin, 1990
- Judicial intern to the Honorable Karen K. Brown, Justice, U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of Texas
- Diversified energy company regarding its $100 million common stock rights offering.
- Underwriters of an exploration and production company's $250 Million IPO focused on exploration, acquisition, and development of oil and natural gas resources in the Eagle Ford shale.
- High yield offerings of debt securities pursuant to Rule 144A for publicly held companies in the energy and pharmaceutical industries, including subsequent registration with the SEC.
- Public debt exchange offers and consent solicitations for publicly held companies in the energy industry.
- Public offerings of equity and debt securities for companies in the energy and pharmaceutical industries.
- Representation of underwriters in IPOs and follow-on public offerings of equity securities by companies in the energy industry.
Mergers & Acquisitions
- Diversified energy company in acquiring a refinery and related storage, logistics, and retail assets in Hawaii for $400 million.
- Exploration and production company in its $193 million acquisition of Gulf of Mexico producing assets and related $200 senior note offering.
- Independent energy company in completing a $3.2 billion joint venture with an energy producer in the Marcellus Shale.
- Diversified energy company in acquiring a transportation and trading business.
- Oilfield services company in its acquisition of subsidiaries of a privately held oilfield services company.
- Simultaneous acquisitions of numerous companies in “roll up” transactions for new entities.
Corporate Finance and General Corporate Advise
- Establishment of shareholder rights agreements, or “poison pills” for publicly held companies.
- Private placements for publicly and privately-held companies in the energy, information technology, and telecommunications industries.
- Venture capital financings for privately held companies in the information technology industry.
- On-going representation of publicly held companies with respect to corporate governance, equity compensation, SEC reporting, and compliance matters.
- Establishment of universal shelf registrations for publicly held companies.
- Porter Hedges Recognized for ‘Turnaround of the Year’ by Global M&A Network for PetroQuest Energy Chapter 11 BankruptcyFirm News, 05.20.2019
- Porter Hedges Represents Par Pacific in its Agreements to Exchange $31.7 Million of its 5.00% Convertible Senior Notes Due 2021 for Common Stock and CashFirm News, 05.16.2019
- Porter Hedges Represents Par Pacific in Financing its $358 Million Acquisition of U.S. Oil & Refining Co. in WashingtonFirm News, 01.15.2019
- Porter Hedges Represents Par Pacific in the Closing of its $45 Million Acquisition of Select Refining Assets from Island Energy ServicesFirm News, 12.20.2018
- Porter Hedges Represents Par Pacific in the $45 Million Acquisition of Select Refining Assets from Island Energy ServicesFirm News, 08.30.2018
- Firm News, 05.31.2018
- Porter Hedges Represents Carriage Services in Connection with its Exchange of Approximately $115 Million of its Convertible Subordinated NotesFirm News, 05.16.2018
- Firm News, 03.27.2018
- Porter Hedges Represents Par Pacific in $70M+ Acquisition of Cenex® Zip Trip Retail Locations in Washington and IdahoFirm News, 01.09.2018
- Firm News, 12.21.2017
- Porter Hedges Represents Seaport Global Securities in $69M Common Stock Offering by Abraxas PetroleumFirm News, 02.07.2017
- Firm News, 02.07.2017
- Firm News, 08.26.2016
- Firm News, 08.25.2016
- Firm News, 06.21.2016
- Porter Hedges Represents Par Pacific Holdings in the $271M Proposed Acquisition of Wyoming Refining CompanyFirm News, 06.17.2016
- Porter Hedges Represents EIV Capital in the Sale of Four Landfill Gas-to-Energy Facilities to Cube District EnergyFirm News, 04.15.2016
- Firm News, 02.17.2016
- Firm News, 11.23.2015
- Media Mention, 07.24.2018
- Media Mention, 05.11.2017
- "Deal of the Week: Houston industrial services co. acquired by PE firm, merges with Canada co.," Houston Business JournalMedia Mention, 02.10.2017
- Media Mention, 10.27.2016
- Media Mention, 08.01.2016
- Media Mention, 04.14.2016
- “Legal Issues in a Low Price Environment Examined,” Ryder Scott Reservoir Solutions Quarterly NewsletterMedia Mention, 01.01.2016
- Speaking Engagement, 09.02.2015
State Bar of Texas, Business Law and Corporate Counsel Sections, Member
American Bar Association, Business Law Section, Member
Houston Bar Association, Mergers and Acquisitions Section, Chair (2013-2014); Treasurer (2012-2013)